Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Are You Gonna Eat That Pickle?

Some of you are too young to remember that commercial. Are you gonna eat that pickle?

But, maybe you should eat that pickle. Really. Or, how about the gooey goodness of Nachos Al Carbon from La Jaripeo. Yes, that is what you should eat!

Whoa! Did Jamie just say that? Yes, she did. Loud and proud. And, she actually meant it. Last week I rambled on about being aware of what you eat and how it affects your body’s performance. Being aware of what you eat does not mean you cannot enjoy your Food Plan.

Recently I have gotten comments that make me think you all do not think I ever indulge with a plateful of non-paleo chow. Well, let me tell you, I do eat ice cream in bed, use real butter on my popcorn, drink beer, love manicotti and celebrate anything that contains caramel.. And, it is NOT Cheating.

There is a huge difference between a Cheat and a Treat. For another perspective on the issue, click HERE, Here, and there. (Warning: The posts are brilliant, but not at all family friendly.) Those links will tell you more about how to Treat yourself well. And, yes, I do have a nutritional crush on Melissa Urban and I am comfortable with that.

I have a Plan. I also am human and mostly well adjusted. From time to time I think, “Oh man, that Skor™ bar looks good!” while standing in line at Kroger. Ok then; get it if you want. It is your Food Plan. But, in my book, if you get it and eat it right there while you stand in line, you just Cheated. Instead, buy it and leave it on the kitchen counter. Or hide it in your underwear drawer where you know no one will look, find it, and eat it before you get to. Wait for it! If you still want it, and then eat it, that is ok by me. What is not OK is giving in to a moment of normal fleeting thoughts, hoovering a bunch of junk, and then beating yourself up over. It. Is. Not. Worth. It. Say it out loud. If you do something that makes you feel bad, then listen to what your conscience is saying. Learn from it. Then, move on. Next time, make it a Treat. Plan for it. Enjoy every wonderful bite of that hits your lips without regret. It was a Treat and that is just fine. I do admit, it might not have a place in your Diet, but you already know what I think of Diets.

I am convinced Treats do have a place in your Food Plan. I am not sold on the idea that your menu should leave you feeling as though your pantry is a straight-jacket and its contents have you booked in an Economy Seat on a NonStop flight to CrazyTown. No folks. Food Plans, when well designed, actually liberate you. When you do weigh yourself you do not grumble about the 5 pieces of bread you ate at the Italian place last night; instead you feel good about the choices you made. When you show up at the gym on Saturday morning and do not feel like someone ran over you with a large bottle of tequila, you feel good about your choices. When you have a Food Plan that includes Treats, you think about your intake differently.

My Food Plan is pretty simple. I eat, on a regular basis:
Fruits, Vegetables, Nuts, Seeds, Healthy Fats, Meat, **Treats**, Starbucks Grande Decaf Caramel Latte ™

I do not eat, on a regular basis:
Dairy, Preservatives, Caffeine, Legumes, Grains, Alcohol, Soy, Sugar or Sugar Substitutes

And, to be honest, yes of course I have cheated on my Food Plan. I said I was human. And, I regretted it. Treats are much more fun. So, what is your very favorite Cheat? Did you just fall for that? No cheating! Instead, Treat yourselves well. I am curious though – what is a Treat to you? And, how do you spell Potatoe? I am going to tell you about their dirty little secret later.

2 comments:

  1. Another great post Jamie. I read it twice. I was pretty sure about you and the beer, but NOT the ice cream in bed. Ha! Also, totally laughed out loud about the large bottle of Tequila. I am a compulsive snacker and I snack when not even a bit hungry or thinking. Not sure why I do. This was a very good "read" for me. Thank you. I really enjoy reading your posts, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Becky! I have snack issues too. I do better when I stick to eating small portions every few hours rather than traditional American meals + snacks three times a day. Today I brough raw almonds and cherries to graze on and keep me away from the donuts that are lurking on the other side of the office. :)

    ReplyDelete