Tuesday, May 11, 2010

When it comes to CrossFit, there is nothing ‘mini’ about it…


So, many of us 180 gals did the 2010 Indianapolis 500 Festival Mini Marathon. Other than the fact that I am still very curious about why none of our tough guys did it, I was curious about some other things.

Why did those girls go for it?

What did they have to gain from the experience?

What did they sacrifice along the way?

I went into the challenge knowing full well that my body was not ready and that I hate running. That was exactly why I wanted to do it. Some would say that is backwards. CrossFit says otherwise. We intentionally do things that others wouldn’t do. And, in my opinion, that IS what makes CrossFit folks ‘better’. We ARE fitter than most folks because we do not look at physical fitness on a single level. To us, it is about the ability to do all of the following:

Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance - The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen.

Stamina - The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy.

Strength - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force.

Flexibility - the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint.

Power - The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time.

Speed - The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement.

Coordination - The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement.

Agility - The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another.

Balance - The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base.

Accuracy - The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity

As it stands now, I don’t have all of those things down pat, so I did that half marathon thing. But, just finishing the event does not mean I am done. I have to keep trying to be a better runner. It improves many of my weak points. It makes me fitter. The idea was to take myself completely out of my comfort zone and finish the darned thing. And, I can tell ya, I don’t think there is anything MINI about a half marathon. No matter how miserable it was running in the evenings after CF180 wods, no matter how windy it was that morning of the actual mini marathon, etc... I am really glad I have the sense of accomplishment that came from crossing the Finish Line.

CrossFit folks do other things to improve their overall fitness. CrossFit even encourages this via other ‘branches’ (CrossFit Endurance and CrossFit Football). I think most CrossFit coaches believes you should not focus solely on CrossFit. The idea is for that your workouts be constantly varied after all. Participate in a volleyball league, run around town, go hiking, whatever. Just Get Fit.

Get Completely Fit. There are two questions to ask yourself. What are your weak points and then how can you beat them down? Go over that list above and see what you are weakest on. You might think you have a good handle on all of them. Hey, Congrats! But, there is probably something on that list that either you hate or are not as good at. Now you have identified the weakness. Now, get to work.

The amazing competitors of the CrossFit Games understand the benefits of overall fitness - people like April Garner. More on her and the competition later... It was amazing!

Posts coming up: CrossFit Regionals wrap up, Food Labels, another visit to the important idea of Rest and Rest Days, being in The Zone, and why Peanuts should only be consumed as a Comic Strip and not your mouth. What else do ya want to hear about?

No comments:

Post a Comment